One of the easiest and most impressive candies to make.
Our own version of a very traditional recipe.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- Heat sugar, corn syrup and vinegar until it reaches 300F on a candy thermometer and then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle in baking soda, stirring as you add (to avoid clumps).
- Pour onto a buttered baking tray and let cool.
- When completely cold, break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
- OPTION: Drizzle melted chocolate over your pieces of sponge toffee and let cool.