Sign up for our 2023 Pantry Share Program, and let us give you the opportunity to fill your pantry with delicious scratch-made provisions including pickles, jams, jellies, chutneys, mustards and more.
How does it work?
It’s like a farm box, but with delicious preserves! Sign up for your share and help us invest in our own gardens, contract local farmers for a portion of their crop, buy jars and other ingredients. Then, as local fruit, veggies and flowers come into season, we turn them into a variety of delicious preserves for you. Depending on where you live, you’ll have a number of pick up and drop-off opportunities through the season–everything you order will draw down on your share balance. Again this year, you get to pick 100% of the items you receive. At the end of the season, any outstanding balance in your share is used to support our important work preserving and sharing our local piece of heritage.
What will I get with my Pantry Share membership?
Every season, we make a wide range of preserves and related food products (including Christmas goodies!) and you’ll have access to all them as part of your share. For every $100 in your share, you can expect to receive an average of ten jars (110mL jars for jellies, 375mL and 500mL for pickles, and 190mL for almost anything else) of product across all of our kinds of products. Last year we made about 15 varieties of pickles, about 30 varieties of jams and jellies plus an assortment of BBQ sauces, salsas, mustards, chutneys and more.
Below you’ll see some of the many products we made in the last few years…
- A pantry full of products made from peak-of-the-season ingredients
Because the ingredients come from our own heritage gardens or the gardens and orchards of our neighbours, there’s no need to pick soft fruit early for shipping or to store produce for long periods in a cooler. It’s picked when it’s ripe and processed right away to preserve its flavour and essential goodness.
- We love to share no-longer-familiar ingredients in wonderfully old-fashioned recipes
We have a large seed collection of rare and unusual heritage veggies as well as more than sixty heritage apple trees on site, and we love to use each ingredient to its best advantage. We also know where to track down hard-to-find items like quince, sour cherries and more.
- A discount from our retail prices
In appreciation for your up-front contribution, we will extend a 15% discount off the retail price of our products to share members. This discount is provided to you as added value to your share. For example, if you purchase a $200 share, you get $230 in share value.
- Access to exclusive small-batch products
Every year, we experiment with all sorts of unusual and old-fashioned recipes. Pantry Share members will get exclusive access to these treasures. (In 2020, those small-batch products included tomato bacon jam, pumpkin chutney, cherry olives, and more.)
- Supporting the preservation of agricultural heritage and small local farmers
Getting your money before the growing season starts allows us to properly invest in our own gardens and contract with local farmers to grow and harvest exactly what we need while they’re still planning for their season. It reduces their costs (and stress level) and helps us ensure we get exactly what we need, when we need it. Best of all, we aim to be as transparent as we can about the farmers we’re working with and the positive impact our pantry share has on their operation.
Anything Else I Should Know?
- This Pantry Share program is inspired by other CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) programs, particularly the farm box programs here in the Similkameen Valley, as well as Skipper Otto’s Community Supported Fishery in Vancouver. We firmly believe in connecting people with where their food comes from.
- Buying a share gives you a voice when we’re planning our preserves for 2023; if there’s something in particular you think we should make for your pantry, you’ll have lots of chance to give us your input. If you have a favourite recipe, we’d love that too!
- If you find you’re going through your share faster than expected, you can always top-up your share with more money at any time. Please note that share top-ups will only get a 10% discount off retail instead of 15%.
- The preserves available at each pick-up will be determined by what has been seasonally-available up to that point. You won’t see peaches or apples until fall, for example. See the chart below for a rough idea of what’s available to us when.
We’re really excited about our 2023 Pantry Share and hope you’ll be a part of it!