A smooth and creamy caramel
Depending on the temperature you cook this to, the same recipe can be used for soft gooey caramel or a harder brittle caramel. Makes 2lbs of caramel.
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Lightly butter an 8″ square pan.
- Heat cream to luke-warm in a large heavy sauce pan. Once warm, pour out half the cream into another container and set aside.
- Add sugar, corn syrup and salt to the cream in the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Slowly add the cream that you set aside into the sauce pan, so the mixture doesn’t stop boiling.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter and lower temperature but keep it boiling gently and continue to stir.
- When temperature teaches 248F, remove from heat. Mix in vanilla (and optionally nuts) and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour into pan and let cool to room temperature; remove from pan onto a cutting board and cut into pieces with a sharp knife. Wrap each piece in wax paper.