Basic Chocolate Fudge
A great recipe to play with.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Butter an 8" square pan
- Put chocolate and milk in a heavy saucepan; heat and stir over low heat until mixture is smooth and well-blended.
- Add sugar and salt and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to boil.
- Continut boiling over medium heat, without stirring to the "soft ball" stage (234F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Let cool to lukewarm (110F) then beat the mixture until it loses its gloss and holds it's shape. Pour into pan and cool until set, then cut into squares.
Once you've mastered the technique of basic fudge, you can add all sorts of flavourings, nuts and more. Makes about 36 pieces.