Basic Chocolate Fudge
A great recipe to play with.
Once you’ve mastered the technique of basic fudge, you can add all sorts of flavourings, nuts and more. Makes about 36 pieces.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Butter an 8″ square pan
- Put chocolate and milk in a heavy saucepan; heat and stir over low heat until mixture is smooth and well-blended.
- Add sugar and salt and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to boil.
- Continut boiling over medium heat, without stirring to the “soft ball” stage (234F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Let cool to lukewarm (110F) then beat the mixture until it loses its gloss and holds it’s shape. Pour into pan and cool until set, then cut into squares.