The Grist Mill and Gardens at Keremeos is a twelve acre provincial historic site that features spectacular heritage gardens (both ornamental and vegetable), fascinating heritage buildings and the only working waterwheel-powered flour mill in Western Canada. We also have a small restaurant, gift shop and campground and host a large number of special events through the season.
Heritage agriculture plays a very important role on site, both for the interesting and unusual heritage varieties we collect, grow and research as well our unique opportunity to educate through public access to our gardens and the many markets for our primary and value-added products (through our restaurant and gift shop, farmers markets, and more.) Currently, we have about a half acre under cultivation in ground crop, half acre in heritage grain, an herb garden, assorted tree and cane fruit and a small heritage apple orchard featuring about sixty varieties of heritage apple. We also have five more acres of arable land that we hope to expand production into in the coming couple of years and incredible legacy of heritage seed saving to draw upon. (Ever heard of Red Fife wheat? The might Zucca (melon)? The Walking Stick cabbage?)
We’re currently looking for someone to lead our agricultural efforts on site for 2017 and beyond.
This position will be responsible for leading a small team of staff and volunteers in researching, planning, planting, maintaining, harvesting and representing the Grist Mill vegetable and herb gardens. You’ll work closely with kitchen, gift shop and interpretive staff to share and preserve our bounty of produce and knowledge and may be asked to attend farmers markets, trade shows and make presentations to staff, volunteers and (maybe even) the public.
- Strong sustainable horticulture experience in small-scale food production
- Experience leading projects and coordinating small teams volunteers
- Experience working with community groups and other stakeholders to promote local food production and community sustainability
- Comfortable working under minimal supervision
- Enjoys working on a wide range of tasks and is able to improve working
- Self-motivated, highly adaptable and organized
- Able to identify and prioritize multiple tasks
- Must by physically fit and enjoy hard work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Experience with mentoring, giving workshops and/or educational experiences
- Excellent people skills; ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact as a
representative of the site
- Interest in heritage and/or sustainable agriculture
Although we can only guarantee a seasonal position (April-Nov) at this time, the successful candidate will have a significant opportunity to develop opportunities that may allow the position to become closer to year-round.
How to Apply:
Please direct questions and submit resumes to:
Grist Mill and Gardens
2691 Upper Bench Road
Keremeos, BC V0X1N4
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2017. If you plan to apply for more than one position, only a single resume is required. Please note in your cover letter which position(s) you are applying for.